Saturday, August 15, 2009

Embarrassing

Montreal is boiling hot these days. The temperature hovers around 30°C (86°F) but with the humidex it feels more like 40 (104). J had Thursday and Friday off this week so we took the opportunity to deal with the car. I don't know if I told you I was stopped by the police last week because my car is registered to J and well he doesn't have a license. So Thursday morning we made our way down to the SAAQ which is the society of automobile insurance of Quebec (I would write that in French if I could only figure out how to spell it) which is not to be confused with the SAQ which is the society of alcohol in Quebec (the alcohol store) to do an ownership transfer. Since we're married and since I'm not buying the car from him (I paid for it the first time around and it was only due to other reasons he's the owner) there would be no fees for this service.
At the SAAQ we got a grumpy lady who rolled her eyes at every question we asked and seemed very annoyed that we didn't know what number the odometer on the car was. After filling in some papers and signing here and there and everywhere and paying up the difference until the registration needs to be renewed in November she hands us a new license plate and sends us on our merry way. A new license plate. When I asked why I was told because. So when we got home we realized that we now need to deal with the parking sticker asap since it has the license plate number on it and we'll totally get a parking ticket if we don't change it. We decided to deal with all that in the morning and simply just leave the old plate on the car until going up to get the new sticker. Fast forward to Friday morning, as I'm getting W ready to leave J goes out to change the plate on the car. He comes in swearing a few minutes later exclaiming that it's impossible because one of the screws just spins and the other one won't turn at all. I freak out a little because I've already had a run in with the police this month and driving with an expired plate will surely not be good. Not to worry J says we'll get his dad to fix it soon and until then we'll just put the new plate in the back window and put some tape over the old plate. We do this and I have never been more embarrassed to drive my car before. We look like such idiot losers with our plate taped to the inside of the window with the only tape we had which was black electrical tape.

Now I have to make my way out to see J's dad as soon as I can so I can get this fixed because I can't drive around like this for long.

No comments: