Wednesday, April 2, 2008

April fool's


Yesterday was April 1st so mine and Hubby's bull-shit meters were on high alert. So when my mother-in-law called and said that hubby's cousin and his fiancee was in the hospital having their baby we thought it was a joke. It wasn't, but it gave us an idea. 

We went on facebook and posted as our status 'is expecting number 2' and 'is gonna be a daddy again' respectively. We honestly didn't think anyone would fall for it but boy were we wrong. We got lots of congratulations and well wishes and the bus's Godmother was so excited and happy that she called me a skunk ape when I told her it was a joke. If you don't know what a skunk ape is you can just Google it. 

It was very funny, at least to us. I told my mom about the joke over the phone (I didn't try to fool her) and she thought it was very mean and a bad joke, so did my sister-in-law when she called and asked if I was preggers and how come she had to find out from one of her friends and not from us.

My friend Maria fell for it too but she seemed mainly sad that I was gonna have baby number 2 in Canada and not with her in Sweden a couple of years from now. We expected our babies together the last time. Her little girl, who is of course bus's future wife, was born 7 weeks before the bus. We have said that we were gonna have our second children together so we can spend time together both while preggers and then with tiny tots.

All in all that was the first and best April fool's joke I've made. I usually never fool anyone. But it was not the best April fool's joke ever cause that one belongs to some TV personality or newspaper person or something similar in Sweden back in the good old days when most TVs were black and white. The colour TV had arrived in Sweden but most people didn't have one yet since they were a bit expensive and why throw away your functioning black and white one before it breaks... right? Anyways someone went on TV or if it was the newspaper (I can't remember) and told the Swedish people that if they didn't own a colour TV but wanted to watch TV in colour they could just put a nylon stocking over the screen, and voila, colour TV! Ridiculous numbers of Swedes did that day put nylon stockings on their TVs only to find out that it doesn't work. Funny!

later

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not a skunk ape today darling....