Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

Today is mother's day here in North America. In Sweden mother's day is on the last Sunday of May and in the UK it falls on one Sunday in March I can't remember which.

Funny story about the UK mother's day. As you may or may not know I lived for some years in the UK. I spent about a year and a half in Brighton first studying for six months, then bartending and living in a hostel for about a year. It was fun. Then London for six months and then Sweden for six months and then back to London for a year and a bit before moving here.
I have never been good at remembering such occasions as mother's day or father's day so I usually went by the advertisements for flowers that tend to show up a couple of weeks before the event. So my first year in England I did just that. It's early March and everywhere signs for mother's day are showing up in flower shop windows so I promptly buy a card for my mom write something sweet in it and send it off thinking I've been good and have done my duty as a good daughter. A couple of days later I get a phone call from mom asking me why I'm sending her mother's day cards in March when mother's day isn't until May. Well I told her I like to be early so I'm just making sure she'll have her card on time. I ended up having to send her another one in May anyway.

Because mother's day here in Canada and in Sweden both fall in May just on different Sundays I have been told I will not get to celebrate both since my hubby is clearly too cheep and too lazy to do special treats for me twice in one month. Father's day is another thing though. Father's day here in Canada is in June. I know this because W was born on Father's day thereby saving me the hassle of having to buy something for hubby since I had already given him the ultimate present. About four months later we went to Sweden to show off our new baby and have him baptised. It was November and we scheduled the baptism for the 10Th which was a Saturday since the church had decided to do baptisms on Saturdays rather than Sundays. We get there and what do you know father's day in Sweden is in November. The 11Th of November that particular year so apparently we have to celebrate both. Now how is this fair. W is born in June so both Canadian and Swedish (and UK's for that matter) mother's day are gone but hubby gets 2 father's days!

Well today is my second mother's day. Last year I got a flowerbed with a flower and this year I got a beautiful homemade card from W.






So to all mother's and grand-mother's Happy Mother's Day! May you be pampered and loved all day (and everyday).

No comments: