Sunday, December 7, 2008

no faith

We've had a busy week so I'll attempt to sum it up. First I had to go to the doctor on Monday for blood tests. I had some done a little while back when we first saw our family doctor and she found too much of something, that I can't remember what it was called. So I had to have more tests done and these ones came back good so all good right. But she called me back on Tuesdays with some other results and she wants me to have this horrible painful test done and I'm pretty sure I don't need it. The thing is I have no faith in my doctor. I usually have lots of faith in doctors, like I trust my ob-gyn and my sons pediatrician completely, but my family doctor I don't trust at all.

It all started when we first went to see her for our first health evaluation back in October. I was sick at the time with a pretty clear case of strep throat, I've had strep throat many many many times in the past so I'm pretty good at self diagnosing. She took a look in my throat but decided that I needed a culture taken and told me I'd get the results in 3-5 days. I already had over 39°C fever and was in a lot of pain but she told me she could do nothing for me until she had the results. That was bad thing #1.

Bad thing #2 was that she does not listen to me or she can't understand me... I don't know which one it is. I live in Quebec which is pretty French and I don't really speak French so sometimes I struggle to make myself understood but I try to make sure that doctors at least understand me cause it's pretty important. I have an IUD and I had some issues with it this summer where it moved and I had to have ultrasounds done to locate it again and stuff but it's all good but you can't see it during a regular exam anymore. I told the doctor this twice before the exam and she still during the exam told me with a concerned look that she could not see the IUD so I had to explain this again. I don't like having to repeat myself over and over again, especially not when it's important.

Bad thing #3 the day after I saw the doctor the first time I had to go to a walk in clinic cause I was so sick and I actually ended up in the emergency room a couple of days later cause I had over 40°C fever for over a week and an eye infection and a case of bronchitis on top of my strep throat. My doctor had not found anything wrong with me. I also had x-rays done and they found a mass in my lung so I then had a CT scan done. It's all good but I still think my doctor should have not dismissed me so fast.

Bad thing #4 when I called her to discuss the options for the results she wants me to have a painful test done for, she refused to listen to me or offer me any options to the test. The test is basically a cancer test and she told me not to worry cause I don't have cancer. Then why do I need to do a painful cancer test?

I do not like her at all and I trust nothing she says so I think I'm going to give up my spot with her and try to find another doctor cause I really see no point in going to see a doctor I will second guess all the time and then seek a second opinion. That's just a waste of resources.

No on to W. He had his 18 months shots on Wednesday and those shots always makes him sick so he's now had a fever for a couple of days.
We went to see Santa on Friday with W and he got to sit on Santa's lap and we got photos of them and it was awfully cute. I'll write more about it tomorrow, now I have TV to attend to.

2 comments:

The Panic Room said...

I would run for the hills!!! That sounds like a bad situation. I want a Doctor that will follow he leads that I am feeling going on with my body. I have NEVER heard of a strep test taking longer then a half hour. 3-5 days is unheard of.

Megg said...

Oh my goodness, I hope you found another doctor who values your opinions and gut instincts about your own health. grrrr.